14 October 2019 Statement by the President of the Republic, H.E. Ilir Meta
The President of the Republic of Albania, H.E. Ilir Meta considers that the final Opinion of the Venice Commission confirmed all the positions held by the President of the Republic.
As never before, the Final Opinion underwent substantial changes from the preliminary project.
Among the main conclusions it was noted that:
1. The President of the Republic has not violated the Constitution and has not exceeded his constitutional powers.
2. The President of the Republic had a legitimate scope, aimed at avoiding bloodshed, protecting political pluralism, preserving the country’s stability and democratic credentials.
3. The constitutional powers of the President are not formal.
4. The decrees of the President are in force and were not challenged before any court.
5. Parliamentary elections have a higher constitutional status than local elections.
The President of the Republic regrets that during the last four months, the energy that should have been used to serve Albania’s European integration and the long-awaited decision for the opening of EU accession negotiations were wasted.